As dentists, our goal is to preserve the structure of your teeth for as long as possible. But situations occur when removing a tooth is the best option to ensure your oral health.
Our professional team understands that having a tooth extracted may seem like an overwhelming event for many people. However, Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Anthony are caring, compassionate professionals who have performed many comfortable extractions at our Sun City Center dental office. Before we plan your procedure, we will answer all your questions to make sure you understand the reason for treatment and how it will benefit you.
Reasons for Tooth Extractions
If a tooth is severely decayed or damaged by trauma or advanced periodontal disease, you may not have enough remaining structure do restore it with a dental crown. In this case, an extraction may be the only option.
However, there are other situations where we might recommend extraction as the best choice to maintain your oral health or achieve optimal results for specific procedures:
- Alignment issues - We may need to remove a tooth because it is positioned improperly and affects the alignment of surrounding teeth.
- Orthodontic treatment – Children may need to have teeth removed in preparation for orthodontic treatment
- Damage caused by trauma – If a tooth is broken below the gum line or severely fractured, extraction may be necessary.
- Denture therapy – Patients who are planning for dentures may need to have several or all teeth removed for successful treatment.
After the procedure, we will stay with you until we are sure that you are well enough to leave. We will give you post-extraction care procedures that instruct you to:
- Bite down on the gauze pad we provide for about 3 to 4 hours after your procedure
- Place ice packs on and off at 20-minute intervals to reduce swelling
- Take over-the-counter pain medication as recommended
- Plan to take it easy and limit your activity for 24 hours after extractions
- Minimize bleeding when you lie down by elevating your head
- Don't smoke or drink through a straw for the first 24 hours
- Stick to soft foods like yogurt or ice cream the day after extraction
Following these instructions helps speed healing and minimizes the risk for complications like dry socket, which can be very painful.
Please Call Us for An Appointment
If you have been told you need a tooth extraction in Sun City Center, FL, please call A Family Dentist to arrange a consultation with Dr. Nguyen or Dr. Anthony. You can be confident that your treatment will be handled by our friendly, caring team who respects your concerns and makes sure that you have the most comfortable experience possible.